I'd like to welcome y'all to the Eminem show...
Title: Cleanin' out my closet
Artist: Eminem (Marshall Bruce Mathers III)
Link to the Lyrics ( this song has swearing just so you know)
Plot: Eminem's father left when he was a little baby. His mother took prescription pills while he was around and she made him believe he was sick even though he was not. His mom didn't treat him well. Trough a really difficult childhood he made it to selling multi-platinum CD's. He made it out of that crap.
Character:
Eminem ( speaker)
his mom
his father
Halie (his daughter)
Kim ( mother of his daughter)
Nathan
Conflict: Eminem is pissed at his mother because of how she treated him and what she made him go through and let's his feelings out. He wants her to know what she did to him and how it destroyed him as a little kid. He also hates his father and Kim even so much that he speaks about being on the edge of killing them.
Theme: Drug abuse, difficult childhood, hate / pain
Setting:
the closet
the kitchen
'73
'now'
My word: I freakin' love Eminem. Especially the stuff he did in the beginning. I mean every artist grows and changes, but I prefer the stuff he did back then. This song ist just so powerful and describes so much so deeply and honestly.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget...
Title: Hotel California
Artist: The Eagles
Link to the Lyrics
Plot: The speaker is getting tired while he's driving in his car. Then he stops driving and checks in in a nice hotel where he spends his time with champaign , a nice woman and stuff like that.
Character:
The speaker
"she"
the captain
the night man
Conflict: He wants to leave the Hotel California. First it is a temptation. He enjoys himself but soon he realises that he needs to leave that place but the night man says : ' You can checkout any time you like but you can never leave' and "she" said : 'We are all just prisoners here of our own device.'
Theme: consequences, getting into something where there's no way out
Setting:
a dark desert highway
the doorway
the Hotel California
the corridor
the courtyard
the master's chambers
('69)
(the middle of) the night
My word about the story of this song: I am pretty convinced this song is about heroin. He describes how he is tired on that dark desert highway.. some sorta hopeless. And then there is that tempting Hotel and he just needs to stop. Like someone without any hope and ambition woul stop for something.. new and different. And then he has a great time at this weird and new place. He is a new spirit at that place.. in the scene. And eventually without even realising it he gets caught at that place. He made himself a prisoner that can never leave that place again, even though he is welcome to leave. Isn't that what Heroin does to people ?
I still love that song. It makes me think.
I completely agree about Eminem.His life was so crappy and now he is awesome. His songs are so full of feeling and real life. I love it.
ReplyDeleteOdd, normally i would think that dudes would choose an eminem song. Unless you are a dude. But if not, kudos for a girl chosing a song by one of the filthiest rappers out there. And the eagles, such a contrast.
ReplyDeleteHAHA. Well I'm a girl. And I love hip hop and Eminem's just one of the best if you ask me.
ReplyDelete